Sunday, March 25, 2012

Thrifted Finds # 10 : Vintage Linen Madness


My weekend of scavenging can only be described as Teh Awesome.  So many things I love crammed into such a short period of time, totally makes up for getting up at 5 am in the super freeze-cold to go to an "Estate Sale" that turned out to be anything but.  Two tables in a tiny garage split between four different sellers does not an estate sale make.

There were better rummage sales & yard sales & our weekly flea to enjoy & you can bet I made the most of those.
  • Three darling Holly Hobbie glasses from 1972.  I love that each one is a different color.
  • Two little chipmunk figurines with super sass, their expressions make me smile.
  • A little bronzed deer California souvenir.
  • An amazing gray ceramic owl.
  • Antique kitten cross stitch ... the fabric is yellowed with age, I love that it is all done in black thread.  I've been bringing home tons of kitten stuff lately.
  • Two little ceramic squirrel figurines.  Not a set, but both very sweet.
  • An entire set of Child-Craft books from the 1950s.  I love these books, I have a few singles, but this was an entire set in near mint condition & got them for .25 apiece.  There are 15 of them in the set.

The cover art is one of my favorite things about them, each one is different.  If I could convince myself to cut them up, the covers would look amazing framed & hung in my sewing room, but I don't think that will happen even if they were only a quarter.  Destroying books that are still perfectly good for reading makes me cringe a little.
Two Joan Walsh Anglund twin sheet sets, made by Utica in 1973 & in brand new condition.  I have quite a few of her darling children's books in my collection & love flipping through the illustrations.  It would not be surprising if I eventually end up with a tattoo (or two or three) inspired by them.  The combination of olive green & goldenrod is so reminiscent of my childhood.  These sheets are bound for my Etsy Shop, though if I had a guest room with two twin beds they'd be staying put.
It was certainly my week for linens.  This Smokey the Bear flat sheet from the 1970s is my favorite of the sheets I found.  It is all done in dreamy colors with every forest friend imaginable,  plus mushrooms & trees & bushes & some of the little animals are holding up forest fire awareness safety tips on signs that say, "Be careful with every fire" & "Break all your matches" & "Drown every campfire".

I found Transformers, Rainbow Brite & Charlie Brown sheets from the 1980s & 1970s also.  They'll end up in the shop later this week.


 Then there's this AMAZING Empire Strikes Back bedspread.  Possibly the best picnic blanket I've ever seen.  It's worn & you can tell it was very well loved.  I got it from the yard sale of this lovely lady who had lost her son last year.  It was his when he was a boy.  His name, Matthew, is stenciled on the front.
There are a few other great things I found that I will post about later on in the week.  A 1940s baby quilt with embroidered cats all over it that makes me swoon.  I've got to figure out a way to photograph the whole thing, it's just so very sweet.  There's also a large paint by number of a girl & her kitten.  It's all about cats right now, we're on the list at our local humane society & at the pet shop next to my husband's tattoo shop for an orange male kitten (need a kitten to grow up with our three LARGE dogs).  It's been almost a year since my MuShu died & I miss having a lazy bones lap cat.

Linking up with:

Thursdays Are For Thrifters






16 comments:

  1. Loving the Holly Hobbie glasses and vintage sheets: lovely finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! The glasses! The squirrels! The sheets! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... what a score! Those Holly Hobby glasses, the books and the Star Wars sheets are my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Too many good things packed into one post. I am so jealous! Love the sheet sets. I bet it will be hard to give them up to Etsy. Sherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow what a haul! i LOVE that kitty needlepoint! and the little forest creatures! and oh man that child craft book with the animals! that is gorgeous! and the smokey sheet is pretty perfect. he always cracks me up because with his shirtless torso. and the star wars blanket! the little thread tufts make it even better!

    i hope you get a kitten soon! i LOVE orange kitties, if we didn't already have a full house i would be in the market for one too. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Childcraft books are so sweet! Great finds for you this week!
    Cheers ~ Lara

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many good things! I love the Holly Hobby glasses, the Smokey the Bear sheet, the kitten cross stitch and the Child Craft books. I would love to find a set of those at that price!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cover design of the child-craft books too! I'm also hesitant about cutting up a perfectly useful book...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one of those glasses from when I was a little girl packed away some where in my "things to keep". Fun to see it here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the chipmunk figurine - they so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The yellow vintage bed sheets are so adorable- I've been dreading the need to repaint my daughter's room soon, but those sheets are pretty inspiring:) The cover on that book is just plain awesome. happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy linens! LOVE them ALL. wowza. total score. and that little deer bronze is quite neato as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kitten cross stitch, chipmunks and the covers of the Child Craft books have caught my eye, lucky you. Sad story to go with the Star Wars sheets: my son adored those movies. I cannot cut up books, even when they are in poor shapes, anyone have a cure for this? I just can't cut books up and sometimes it is just silly, even when the book is a mess. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the grey vintage owl and the artwork on the books. Thanks for linking up with Thursdays are for Thrifters!
    -Meagan
    www.brassinpocketblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab finds, especially love those gorgeous children's books, the covers are fab! The star wars doona cover made me a little teary, my eldest is big into Star Wars, it must have been hard for the lady to part with something so special, I suppose we can't keep everything our kids love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is part of the reason I bought it, I just couldn't bear the thought of it getting donated & possibly tossed because it was so worn on the backside. That broke my heart & I thought it would make a perfect picnic blanket!

      Delete